Good chilly Sunday morning, folks! 61* in usually balmy Florida right now means we are getting our first real taste of FALL - while I know a LOT of my friends in other parts of the US are already dealing with snow, so - I'll just keep my long-sleeves-long-pants-socks-n-scarf-wearing-but-oh-it's-nice-to-have-the-AC-off-and-windows-open! mouth shut ;-)
So here's this week's recap of what I worked on in the studio -
Trying a couple new things with acrylic paint on canvas boards
For the accent circles I used Derwent Inktense Blocks that I got a while ago and only recently started using - and I LOVE THEM! such vibrant colors, so luscious to use, they blend great, and have become my new favorite art supply. I lucked out and got a super deal on the big 72-color set on Amazon, but there was no color swatch included, so I decided to make my own. I looked online for their color chart - if you click the PDF link next to the chart graphic, it will pull up all 72 colors - printed that out for reference (and to keep in the tin with the blocks) and then went about making my own painted swatches.
I started with the larger one (modeling it after one I'd seen on Pinterest, but quickly realized it wasn't going to work how I wanted, and also that the Pinterest one was using the Inktense colored PENCILS, and not the blocks.) Also, pretty sure I messed up the number of shape-forms - was supposed to be 8 x 9 = 72 and I didn't use the Ink Black or Antique White blocks, so I either miscounted or skipped over a couple colors, or - most likely, some combo of both. But, I still thought it's look cool so I finished it. Besides, I'm an artist, not a mathematician!
The second one I decided to do in a more standard palette design, and I gridded it for 70 spots since I wasn't gonna use the Black or White here, either. Also, I applied the ink differently - this one I used a wet paintbrush and swabbed each block in turn and filled in the square, where the previous chart I actually colored the form in with the block directly, then used a wet brush to "activate" the ink. I think you can see a pretty distinct difference between the intensity of color from a direct to paper application versus using the brush to pull color from the block first, more like regular pan watercolors.
Then I framed them up for fun because I just happened to have two perfect-sized frames* I got at the thrift store a few weeks ago (.99 and 1.99, respectively!) and also how nice do they look, like actual art!
And that's really all I accomplished this week! I do have my next set of Art-O-Mat watercolor blocks started, I have two more "in the style of" artworks I want to try when I can squeeze them in, and a couple gift paintings I need to get started on. (Because OMGCHRISTMAS.)
*an upcoming planned post is a how-to on framing - I've briefly mentioned before how I frame most of my art, but I will be doing a whole show&tell just on that topic in the near future ...
Ok then, enjoy the rest of your weekend, and have a great start to the new week ahead!